We have all heard the stories, the scams, the bullying, the loss of time in the great black hole that is social media. I too, worry about the time I spend on-line and of course monitor my children constantly. There is the issue of FOMO and well there are also the very annoying posts. Certainly nothing is perfect, and while we are so often bombarded with criticisms for how we choose to spend our time, it occurred to me this week that I truly enjoy being on Facebook. There I said it, I’m confessing to a guilty pleasure.
Facebook is my social media of choice, not because I think its better than any other, it just works for me and really I am too lazy and overwhelmed to learn a new one. (Here are my thoughts on Twitter)
Here is just a sample of my Facebook activity…– Sent a friend a message about Mallomars 100th birthday
– Messaged my daughter that it was snowing and that I was out sledding
– Shared a video from this weeks Scandal show, featuring of all people Phoebe from Friends!
-Told my college roommates that I blasted our getting ready to go out tape “Don Dixon” for my kids this weekend… (anyone heard of him???)
– Helped our neighbors locate their lost dog
– Saw a beautiful picture of a former co-workers new baby
– Posted a picture of my 75lb lap dog sitting on my daughter
– Talked to (okay multiple messages) my husband’s cousin about buying an electric guitar for my son’s Christmas present
– Did some research for a book I’m writing and posted blogs to groups across the country and around the world.
– Creeped on _____ (I’m not saying who, that would be really creepy).
– Memorized a picture of some hot chocolate Santa pops
– Gave some advice on mothering multiples
– Was brought to tears by multiple stories and posts – Laughed out loud several times!
In one hour, I learned, I laughed, I cried, I connected, I supported, I helped, I shared, and I thoroughly enjoyed what I was doing… now this can’t be all bad…
Do you live better with Facebook?