Let’s face it, ear buds have become the bane of many a parent’s existence for too many reasons to possibly state. This is the top ten list for acceptable and non-acceptable earbud behavior shared with the teenagers that reside in my house. It includes but is certainly not limited to the following:
1) Earbuds will not be worn at any meal, whether served at the table, at the counter or especially in a restaurant (we want to at least appear to the general public that we can converse like normal human beings).
2) In conversation with any adult, you will remove both earbuds (not just one while you keep tuned in to whatever song you are listening to). If you did not hear the opening line of the conversation, the appropriate response is “I’m sorry would you repeat that” not “Huh” or “What” as if you just crawled out of a cave for your first human conversation.
3) I should NOT hear what you are listening to when you are wearing your earbuds!
4) No earbuds at work! The person that is paying you has a right to have your full and undivided attention to whatever it is that you are supposed to be doing, even if said activity does not involve hearing. No matter how you slice it, if you are working with ear buds stuck in your ears, the natural and usually correct assumption is that you don’t give a damn about the job you are doing!
5) There is NO good reason for your earbuds to be at school – why don’t you just ask for a detention!
6) You may use your earbuds in the car for a long ride during which you may prefer your own music to my choice of radio station. If however, I pick you up for one of our numerous rides about our small town, then you may not plug yourself into your preferred device and tune me out. I am not your chauffeur and it will not kill you to make polite conversation until you are old enough to drive yourself where you need to go!
7) You may NOT borrow my earbuds because you have lost or broken your own.
8) This list applies to your “BEATS” as well!
9) Do not pretend that you cannot hear me when I call your name.
10) Last but certainly not least. Earbuds are not appropriate at church, during the national anthem or pledge of allegiance, at a funeral or wake, during classes, visiting a relative in the hospital, or in the shower and I reserve the right to add to this list!